Sunday, September 5, 2010

Pockets of Peace

I awoke this morning feeling at peace.
I read in "Streams in the Desert" about the power of stillness.
Here is an excerpt of a poem by Freda Hanbury Allen~

"Be all at rest, my soul, for rest is service,
To the still heart God does His secrets tell;
Thus will you learn to wait, and watch, and labor
Strengthened to bear, since Christ in you does dwell.
For what is service but the life of Jesus,
Lived through a vessel of earth's fragile clay,
Loving and giving and poured forth for others,
A living sacrifice from day to day."


Today in Church, I read chapter 12 of Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life.
It was about your friendship with God.
I had a Stake President once who taught us, "Make the Lord Your Friend."
Today I am grateful for family and friennds and my Heavenly Friend.

During my trip to New York City, I visited the Met Museum and saw lovely Christian works of art.  I found this stunning painted of Joan of Arc by Jules Bastian.




If you look closely, you can see an angel
guarding close by amid the leaves of the tree.



Here is the display of the Antioch Silver, discovered in this
early Christian center of worship from the time of the early church.



A Celtic Cross...

Amid all the rush of mid-town Manhattan,
I found a pocket of peace
in a Catholic Cathedral.





I saw this statue of the mighty arch angel Michael,
who is Adam.


And this saint of roses...


I took time to think and pray
and to light a candle.
Peace.


Slow down.
Be still.
Rest.
Wait.
Listen.
You might just hear
the sound of angel wings
fluttering nearby.



No comments:

Post a Comment